Position: Chairman of the Board - Rector
Academic Degree: Doctor of Philosophy in Education (Ph.D)
Phone: +7 (7132) 56-82-80
Was born in 1987 in Aktobe region.
2004-2008 - Bachelor of History (with honors) Aktobe regional university named after K.Zhubanov;
2012-2014 - Master of Arts in Educational Leadership and Management (Hons ), University of Warwick, UK;
2014-2018 - Ph.D. in Education, Nazarbayev University (in partnership with the University of Cambridge)
2013-2015 - Senior Manager of Trilingual Education Center for Educational Programs of AEO "Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools", Nur-Sultan;
2014-2015 - Project Manager for the training of leaders of universities in Kazakhstan, Department of Additional Education, Graduate School of Education, NU;
2016-2017 – Expert Analyst of the Project Department, Information and Analytical Center JSC, Nur-Sultan;
2017-2018 - Head of the Department of Academic and Professional Programs, “Educational Excellence Center”, Nazarbayev University;
2018-2021 - Postdoctoral researcher at the Graduate School of Education, Nazarbayev University.
2021 - Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs of the ARU K. Zhubanova
Direction of scientific activity:
Multilingual education in higher and secondary education, methods of subject-language integrated learning (CLIL), teachers' practice, language policy and education, the role of teachers in the implementation of reforms, Bologna reforms in Kazakhstan.
Scientific and pedagogical achievements:
• Winner of the grant of the European Association of Researchers in Education (2014)
• Winner of the "Travel grant" (publication mentoring workshop) of the Community of Researchers in Comparative and International Education (CIES), USA, 2019.
• Winner in the nomination "Researcher of the Year" according to the Nazarbayev University Alumni Association.
• Has won international research grants as a leader and researcher, such as NU FDCGP, NU CRP, American Council, World Bank partner grants.
• Member of the National Scientific Council in the direction of "Education and Science"
Articles in the highest quartile (Q1) of the Scopus database:
• Karabassova, L. (2021). English-medium education reform in Kazakhstan: comparative study of educational change across two contexts in one country. Current Issues in Language Planning. https://doi.org/10.1080/14664208.2021.1884436
• Karabassova, L. (2020). Is top-down CLIL justified: A grounded theory exploration of secondary school Science teachers' experiences. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2020.1775781
• Karabassova, L. & San Isidro, X. (2020). Translanguaging in CLIL: a study on teachers' perceptions in Kazakhstan, International Journal of Multilingualism.
• Karabassova, L. (2018). Teachers' conceptualization of content and language integrated learning (CLIL): evidence from a trilingual context. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 21(7), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2018.1550048
• Hernandez-Torrano, D., Karabassova, L. & Izekenova, Zh. (under revision.) Mapping Educational Research in post-Soviet Countries: A Bibliometric Analysis. International Journal of Educational Development
Author of books by leading international and domestic publishing houses:
• Karabassova, L. (2020). Understanding Trilingual Education Reform in Kazakhstan: Why is it Stalled? In Egea, D. Education in Central Asia: A Kaleidoscope of Challenges and Opportunities. Springer.
• Goodman, B., and Karabassova, L. (2018). Bottom-Up and Top Down: Comparing Language-in-Education Policy in Ukraine and Kazakhstan. In Silova, I & M. Chankseliani, M (eds.). Comparing Post-Socialist Transformations: goals, policies, and practices in education. Oxford: Symposium Books.
• Karabassova, L. & Oralbayeva, N. (in press). CLIL Materials. In Banegas, D. The Routledge Handbook of Content and Language Integrated Learning.
• Irssaliyev, S., Karabassova, L., Mukhametzhanova, A., Adil, A., Bekova, M., Nurlanov, Y. (2017).Teaching in three languages: international experience and recommendations for Kazakhstan. Astana: IAC.